Make time to talk! Join Speak UP!
Speak UP is a weekly speaking group that focuses on advanced, real-world language use in everyday university contexts. Lessons include cultural information, commonly used phrases, and pronunciation tips. Participants have an opportunity to engage with their new knowledge through group discussions and role-plays with international and American peers. Speak UP sessions are a great opportunity to meet new people.
The group meets weekly for 10 weeks each semester. Each session focuses on a different aspect or context of communication that is common in university life. Sessions are led by an experienced EPPIC language specialist.
Speak UP Sessions, Fall 2023
September 12 – November 14, 2023: Tuesdays from 4:30-6:30 P.M. in 208 Business Building
- September 12: Talking with Anyone: Small Talk in the U.S.
- September 19: Talking with Everyone: Conversational Everyday Phrases
- September 26: Talking in Idioms: Understanding Slang and Metaphors
- October 3: Talking with/at/over: Using Phrasal Verbs to Sound Less Formal
- October 10: Talking with Advisors: Negotiating and Being Your Own Advocate
- October 17: Talking about the Good and the Bad: Expressing (Dis)satisfaction
- October 24: Talking about Your English: Keeping Track of What you Learn
- October 31: Talking with Penn Staters: PSU Language and Culture
- November 7: Talking with Friends and Partners: Language and Relationships
- November 14: Talking about Americans: Sharing Observations from the U.S.
We look forward to talking–in and about English–with you!
Click here for a printable schedule of Speak UP sessions for fall 2023. To register for sessions, visit the Speak UP registration page on our *new app* here.