Make time to talk! Join Speak UP!
Speak UP is a weekly speaking group that focuses on advanced, real-world language use in everyday university contexts. Lessons include cultural information, commonly used phrases, and pronunciation tips. Participants have an opportunity to engage with their new knowledge through group discussions and role-plays with international and American peers. Speak UP sessions are a great opportunity to meet new people.
The group meets weekly for 10 weeks each semester. Each session focuses on a different aspect or context of communication that is common in university life. Sessions are led by an experienced EPPIC language specialist.
Speak UP Sessions, Spring 2023 (*new topics*)
January 19 – March 30, 2023: Thursdays from 4:30-6:30 pm in 208 Business Building
- January 19: Talking with Anyone: Small Talk in the U.S.
- January 26: Talking with Everyone: Conversational Everyday Phrases
- February 2: Talking in Idioms: Understanding Slang and Metaphors
- February 9 Talking with/at/over: Using Phrasal Verbs to Sound Less Formal
- February 16: Talking with Advisors: Negotiating and Being Your Own Advocate
- February 23: Talking about the Good and the Bad: Complimenting and Complaining
- March 2: Talking about Your English: Keeping Track of What you Learn
- March 16: Talking with Penn Staters: PSU Language and Culture
- March 23: Talking with Friends and Partners: Language and Relationships
- March 30: Talking about Americans: Sharing Observations from the U.S.
We look forward to talking–in and about English–with you!
Click here for a printable schedule of Speak UP sessions for spring 2023. To register for sessions, visit the Speak UP registration page here.