Language Proficiency Interviews for J-1 Exchange Scholar Applicants
J-1 Exchange Scholar applicants may demonstrate their English oral proficiency through a Language Proficiency Interview (LPI) conducted by Penn State’s English for Professional Purposes Intercultural Center (EPPIC).
To register for an interview, visit the LPI scheduling and payment page.
LPI Procedures & Policies
- Interviews last 20-25 minutes, and assess proficiency in spoken English.
- Scholars will be asked to show the interviewer a form of official identification that includes a recent photo and his/her name written in Latin script.
- Scholars may not consult any written materials or other resources (e.g., people, texts, websites, on-line translators, dictionaries) during the interview. No earbuds or headphones may be used during the interview.
- If the interviewer concludes that the scholar is consulting outside sources during the interview, the interview will be deemed invalid and the interview fee will be forfeited. There will be a mandatory waiting period of three months before the scholar may schedule a second interview. The scholar’s PI or faculty sponsor will be notified of the invalid interview.
LPI Proficiency Ratings
The results of the Language Proficiency Interview are:
- shared with the scholar by e-mail within five (5) business days of completing the interview (not including weekend days)
- posted to the scholar’s iStart application
Interviews are assigned one of three possible ratings: 1) Passing, 2) Conditional: Support Required, or 3) Not Passing.